Regardless of where you decide to get pierced this standard set up procedure should be followed:
- The piercer should first wash and glove their hands.
- The equipment should be sealed in individual sterilized packages and placed on a tray.
- The piercer should change gloves if they touch anything in the room other than you and the sterile equipment.
- All needles should be in individual sterile packages and should be opened while you are present.
- NEVER let a piercer use a needle on you that was soaked in a liquid.
- All needles should be disposed of in a sharps container (usually a small yellow box marked ‘biohazard’) after they have been used on a single client.